Sunday, December 13, 2015

Momento Sculpture

In Process Pictures

I took a block of balsa wood and cut it with a saw.

Screws and hinges were then added.

Final Pictures




Statement

My memento involves an accident where I ended up breaking my hand while I was skateboarding.  I had surgery and permanent screws were drilled through my bones.  Sadly, my surgeon messed up during surgery and I now have limited mobility and strength in my right hand.  In addition, the screws stick out of my bone causing intense pain anytime they are touched.  

My sculpture incorporates screws, hinges, and a wooden skateboard ramp (scaled down).  I started off by choosing a piece of wood and cut it into the shape of a ramp.  I chose wood mainly because that is what the ramp was made of.  I then added hinges to the wood and screwed them in so that they were in a fixed position.  The one hinge on the top of the ramp is fixed in an odd way representing limited mobility, and the bottom hinge has screws sticking all the way through it to the point that they protrude out of the bottom of the ramp.  This represents the screws in my hand and how they protrude out of my bone.  



No comments:

Post a Comment